Thursday, April 26, 2012

Maple Flavored Banana-Nana Bread




From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...This is a quick, easy and dependable bread that can be made in about 20 minutes. This is a great recipe to have when you are working in the usually sub-standard kitchens of dorms, summer cottages or vacation condos. If you have a bowl, a wooden spoon and a strong arm,  you'll have a table-ready bread in about 90 minutes. It is also a great recipe for new cooks or teens to try.  This loaf is a bit different than many you may have sampled. It uses pure maple syrup as a sweetener and gets a flavor boost from a generous quantity of dried banana chips. The addition of nuts is optional, but they do add a nice touch to the finished loaf. If you're feeling especially festive, glazed walnuts or pecans make a wonderful addition and take the bread to a whole nother level. The bread keeps well for several days, but I suspect it will be gone long before it can stale. Whenever possible, I make the bread the day before I plan to serve it. That gives the disparate ingredients a chance to meld and ripen and assures the bread will have wonderful flavor. I've just made a loaf of this, sans nuts, for the Silver Fox. His sweet tooth has come back to life and he'll be ready for an all-you-can-eat buffet any day now. That's awfully nice to see. I hope you'll give this bread a try. I don't think you'll regret it. Here's the recipe.

Maple Flavored Banana-Nana Bread...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite

Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2 large)
1/2 teaspoon maple flavored extract
1 cup coarsely chopped banana chips
1 cup chopped toasted walnuts or pecans (optional)

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan. Set aside.
2) Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl; set aside.
3) Beat eggs, maple syrup, oil, maple extract and brown sugar in a large bowl. Stir in bananas. Gradually stir in flour mixture, just until moistened. Fold in banana chips and walnuts. Scrape mixture into prepared pan. Level with an offset spatula.
4) Bake 50 to 55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out almost clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes; remove from pan and cool completely on wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf.








One Year Ago Today: Shaved Asparagus Salad with Aged Gouda and Hazelnuts












Two Years Ago Today: Goat Herder's Mac n' Cheese














Three Years Ago Today: Coffee and  Walnut Snack Cake













27 comments :

Katarina said...

Yummy! I like that you have used banana chips in this bread!

Ginny Hartzler said...

This is a very different recipe! I have a banana cake story that I will post about sometime, a childhood story of lies and the web they weave.

Rambling Tart said...

Oh mercy, Mary. :-) I simply HAVE to make this soon. I love anything with maple in it, and combined with nuts and banana flavors - oh my. :-)

Diane said...

Postmarked this one, thanks, it looks delicious and so simple. Diane

Veronica Miller said...

I love recipes that are a little different and this one is so cool that it has banana chips in it! Do they stay crunchy or do they get soft after the bread sits a while?

Cheah said...

This is truly a perfect bite. Looks good!

Rumana Rawat said...

superb and yummy looking bread:)

Whats Cookin Italian Style Cuisine said...

great memories and this is like your title one perfect bite but after the other!!!

Becki's Whole Life said...

Such a different banana bread. The maple is such a natural pairing with the bananas and I thought using the banana chips was so different - love it.

Cindy@NorthofWiarton said...

Mary, I am so excited you posted this bread recipe, as I just found out I won the draw from the Kemble Maple Syrup Tour Rob & I had attended on the 14th. I am so going to be trying this and "sharing" it with my Recipe Exchange & blog readers. Thanks you & great day to you as well !

Kim said...

It sounds great with the maple flavor. I'll try this in my next banana bread!!!!

tender b. said...

I like the twist of added maple.

From the Kitchen said...

i've got everything but the strong arm. i also have some grade b maple syrup to be the star. thanks for the info on freezing.

best,
bonnie

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Maple syrup, banana chips and nuts sounds like a perfect combination to me Mary.

Shug said...

I look forward each day, to seeing what your new recipe will be...I've never used a recipe using banana chips...Interesting...
Blessings..

Unknown said...

Maple syrup...what an interesting addition to the standard banana bread. Must try it next time I make banana bread... I bet it adds such wonderful flavor!

Claudia said...

Something fun to do with all those bananas is my freezer!

Ana Regalado said...

This looks delish ! Love that you added banana chips !

Unknown said...

Delicious sounding! I've never paired maple and bananas except on ice cream (which is wonderful!) but it sounds like a marriage made in heaven!

Tanna said...

Sooooo glad to find The Silver Fox is getting his appetite back. I'm tucking this one away for our next adventure with the grands. ;) blessings ~ tanna

Suzie said...

This is a different recipe, in a good way :)

Jennifer Kendall said...

i love the maple and banana chips in this, so creative! sounds delicious!

Baking Addict said...

I love banana bread and this maple version sounds delicious! I also love simple bakes like these :)

Veronica's Kitchen said...

Hi Mary, thanks for your comment at my blog. You have a nice name for your blog, "one perfect bite" tells me all the good things you've cooked. I've never baked with banana chips and that sounds interesting!

Joanne said...

I'm so glad the Silver Fox is getting his appetite back! That's definitely a sign of recovery!

Dining Alone said...

it looks delicious and different from the usual banana bread you see!

Tessa said...

Maple and banana are such a good pairing. My husband's aunt makes these banana bars with a maple frosting = heaven. The idea of maple syrup in the bread is great!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly