Tuesday, August 30, 2016

School Night Suppers - Cajun Rice Skillet


From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...I'll be working on a series of recipes this fall that are perfect for busy weeknight suppers. Tonight's feature has been child tested and it was a hit with the back-to-school crowd, particularly the high school gang. Lest I get ahead of myself, I've long suspected that teenagers will eat anything, and the seven year old sitting at my table moved every kidney bean to the side of his plate, so my ego has been kept in check. Despite the vagaries of appetite gathered around my table tonight, this is a delicious skillet supper and it's easy enough for the older kids to make for themselves. Save for the sausage, this is a pantry meal and a quick one at that. I've labeled it "Cajun" because that's what the spice mix I had in the pantry was called. I learned a while back that the difference between Cajun and Creole food is based on the location from which the dish comes. Both have French roots, but Creole, or city, dishes are more refined and use more protein than their Cajun country cousins. I used a small amount of Linguica in the skillet I prepared, but Andouille or hot Italian sausage can also be used. I am very fond of casseroles and I really enjoyed this one. I think you will, too. Here is how this simple, filling supper is made.



Cajun Rice Skillet...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite inspired by Good Housekeeping magazine

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons canola oil
12-oz. andouille or linguica sausage, thinly sliced
1 large onion, chopped
1 large green pepper, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tablespoon Cajun or Creole seasoning
4 cups cooked white rice
1 (15-oz.) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
2 tablespoons tomato paste
Optional: Sliced green onions and hot sauce for serving

Directions:

1) Heat canola oil in a large skillet set over medium heat. Add sausage, onion, green pepper, garlic and Cajun seasoning. Cook 10 minutes, stirring often.
2) Add cooked rice, kidney beans, and tomato paste, stirring well to incorporate tomato paste throughout casserole. Cook 2 minutes or until rice is hot. Adjust seasonings, adding salt to taste. Sprinkle with sliced green onions if using Serve with hot sauce. Yield: 6 servings.



Follow Me on Pinterest                    

                                 Older Posts


                 One Year Ago Today:                                                          Two Years Ago Today:
      Menu for Week of August 31, 2014                                         Asian-Style Ground Beef Noodles


                Three Years Ago Today:                                                    Four Years Ago Today:
                    Lite Zucchini Bread                                    Couscous with Sun Dried Tomatoes and Cheese

No comments :

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly